Temporary Part-Time House Manager for RUTHERFORD AND SON
TimeLine Theatre Company, recipient of the 2016 MacArthur Award for Creative and Effective Institutions, is a Chicago not-for-profit theatre company with an annual budget that will exceed $2 million in 2019-20. Through 22 seasons dedicated to presenting stories that explore today’s social and political issues through the lens of the past, the company has garnered more than 50 awards for artistic excellence and business management. Now TimeLine is preparing for our next chapter: establishing a new home by renovating a historic building in Chicago’s Uptown neighborhood.
About the Position
If you are hired as a House Manager for Rutherford and Son at TimeLine Theatre, you will enjoy a temporary, part-time (10-20 hours/week), non-exempt, hourly schedule. You will be responsible for providing excellent customer service to our patrons at performances and readings during the run of Rutherford and Son (November 6, 2019—January 12, 2020). You must have evening and weekend availability. You will report to the Audience Services Manager.
- Work with Box Office, Stage Management, and Production Assistants to coordinate the smooth operation of the house before, during, and after performances, readings, and special events.
- Orient and train volunteer ushers.
- Prepare and distribute House Management Reports after performances.
- Ensure the safety of patrons and staff through the enforcement of emergency procedures.
- Maintain the cleanliness and accessibility of interior and exterior TimeLine public spaces, which may include mopping, shoveling/icing in the winter, etc.
- Listen to and address patron issues, questions, and concerns in a friendly and efficient manner.
- Establish a strong working knowledge of ADA guidelines in support of TimeLine’s Accessibility goals.
- Be knowledgeable about the company, current productions, current season, upcoming events, and how they may affect house operations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Temporary (through January 12, 2020), part-time hourly position
- $13.00 per hour
- 10-20 hours/week during Rutherford and Son (11/6—1/12).
- Must be available to work evenings and weekends, in particular Wednesdays – Sundays, including some holidays. Rutherford and Son runs from November 6 through January 12. The show will have two-show performance days on November 26, December 26, and January 2.
- There will also be morning (10AM) student matinees of Rutherford and Son in December available for this position to supervise.
- Prior experience performing high volume customer service-related work.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Must be computer proficient, especially with a PC, Microsoft Office, and Google Drive.
- Experience working with an arts organization is a plus.
- Experience with emergency situation management is a plus.
- First Aid and CPR certification is a plus
- You have demonstrated the ability to thrive and multi-task in a fast-paced, high energy environment.
- You enjoy working independently, assume responsibility, and take initiative using good judgment and strong attention to detail.
- You maintain a calm, professional demeanor in all public-facing situations.
- You can effectively identify and communicate issues or problems to your team.
- You are punctual and have a strong track record of showing up.
We would like you to commit to the run of Rutherford and Son, the second show in our 2019-2020 season. Apply for this position if you are interested in obtaining a foundation in arts management at an award-winning theatre while supporting the theatre’s goal of being one of the best customer experiences in Chicago theatre.
We are aiming to train this House Manager the week of November 18. After a few weeks of training and shadowing, you’ll be ready to start shifts in December.
It is an essential practice of TimeLine Theatre Company to recruit, hire, train and promote individuals, based upon personal capabilities and qualifications and without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, religion, national origin or ancestry, marital status, citizenship, disability, military status, creed, or any other trait or characteristic protected by law. TimeLine Theatre Company is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse staff and an inclusive work environment. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to policies and procedures relating to all terms and conditions of employment at TimeLine Theatre.
- Please email a resume (PDF preferred) and your answers to the short answer questions Your email should be to the attention of Kellyn Henthorn, Audience Services Manager, at HR@timelinetheatre.com with the subject line of your email, “Temporary House Manager.”
- Applications will be accepted through Tuesday, November 5.
- We will reach out to you whether or not you are called in for interviews. Please no phone calls. If you do have questions about your application, please email us at the above address.
Short Answer Questions – REQUIRED
In addition to submitting your resume, please take the time to answer the following questions. You do not have to write a cover letter for this application, so we ask that you put your efforts into answering these questions in complete, thoughtful sentences (no need to write more than 3-4 sentences per question). Thanks!
- What is your customer service philosophy? And how do you work to embody that philosophy when working in customer-facing roles?
Staff members at TimeLine Theatre Company share the core values of the organization:
- COLLABORATIVE: Valuing teamwork as a creative force
- EXCEPTIONAL: Demanding excellence and innovation in everything we do
- FISCALLY RESPONSIBLE: Managing resources effectively and appropriately
- INCLUSIVE: Embracing diversity in all its forms
- INTIMATE: Creating a close connection between art and audience
- RESPECTFUL: Listening and being open to everyone’s perspective
- Please choose one value from the list above and tell us how you would practice it as a House Manager at TimeLine Theatre?
- How can this position and the skills you’ll learn at TimeLine contribute to your personal or professional goals?
- How did you find out about this position?