Audience Services Assistant (Part-Time)
Job Title: Audience Services Assistant
Job Status: Non-exempt part-time position
Reports to: Audience Services Manager
TimeLine Theatre Company, recipient of the 2016 MacArthur Award for Creative and Effective Institutions, is a Chicago not-for-profit theatre company with an annual budget of more than $2 million. Since its inception in 1997, the company has garnered more than 50 awards for artistic excellence and business management. TimeLine is now also preparing for its next chapter with the establishment of a new home in Chicago’s Uptown neighborhood.
Through 25 seasons dedicated to presenting stories that explore today’s social and political issues through the lens of the past, TimeLine’s rich production history highlights a mix of perspectives. From LGBTQIA+ experiences (The Normal Heart, Boy) to Jewish experiences (A Shayna Maidel, My Name is Asher Lev) to issues of cultures intersecting and intertwining (A Walk in the Woods, Chimerica, Oslo) to Black life in America (Raisin in the Sun, Kill Move Paradise, Relentless), TimeLine’s collaborative approach to dramaturgy highlights many unique and powerful stories. At TimeLine, we believe that we must expand the lens through which history is viewed and fully engage with a multitude of perspectives to better serve and reflect our community and our collective histories.
While our programming seeks to reflect and support our community, we acknowledge that TimeLine has more work to do to transform into a fully antiracist, multicultural organization. Our staff, Board, and Company are committed to instituting antiracist policies and practices, championing diversity and inclusion on our stages, and fighting back against the years of oppression that our BIPOC colleagues have experienced in the theatre and performing arts industry. You can read more about our ongoing work here: timelinetheatre.com/2020/11/everyones-history.
About the Position
If you are hired as the Audience Services Assistant at TimeLine Theatre, you will enjoy a part-time (25–29 hours/week), non-exempt, hourly schedule. While working Tuesday through Friday, 11:30am—6:00pm, you will be responsible for providing excellent customer service to our patrons in person and over the phone. You will work primarily from our home space on Wellington Avenue, but there may be some ability to work remotely, if that’s of interest.
The Audience Services Assistant will also have paid opportunities to grow an arts administrator and to learn about TimeLine as a whole with hours dedicated to professional development and all-staff meetings. You will report directly to the Audience Services Manager, but will work intimately with many other departments of TimeLine.
Box Office and Customer Service
- Maintain regular daytime box office hours (Tuesday through Friday, 11:30—6pm) at our theatre on Wellington Avenue to process phone, mail, internet, and walk-up ticket orders, including single ticket sales, subscription sales, reservations, and exchanges
- Act as the primary communicator between the organization and patrons by responding to incoming calls, voicemails, and emails with a friendly and professional voice
- Establish strong working knowledge of TimeLine’s databases and develop, maintain, and use queries to pull lists for various administrative needs such as mailings, reporting, and analysis
- Maintain a working knowledge of our single ticket and subscription pricing structures, and discounts—with an eye towards increasing the accessibility of tickets
- Prepare appropriate box office reports, concessions sales reports and deposits at conclusion of each shift, reconciling any open issues and communicating any specific challenges
- Listen actively to patron issues and/or concerns and resolve them in a friendly and efficient manner
- With Audience Services Manager, establish strong working knowledge of ADA guidelines in support of TimeLine’s Accessibility goals
- Act as primary point of contact for both facilitating and processing group sales, as well as certificate and ticket donation requests from other non-profit organizations
Subscription Campaign Support
- Act as the main point of contact with new, renewing, and lapsed subscribers, with assistance from the Audience Services Manager
- Develop a friendly and proactive rapport to assist in ongoing subscriber-relationship management
- Assist with the fulfillment of mailings and other patron correspondence
- Prepare appropriate subscription reports and reconciliations in collaboration with Development and Accounting departments, with assistance from Audiences Services Manager
- Communicate subscriber feedback and responses to Marketing and Audience Services team
Community Engagement Support
- Establish working knowledge of TimeLine’s Community Relations databases, especially in concert with Community Engagement Team goals
- Assist the Audience Services Manager and Director of Marketing and Communications in managing and maintaining the data in PatronManager
- Use queries to pull lists, create detailed reports, and record cultivation notes to support Community Engagement Team activities
- With the Audience Services Manager, provide leadership to the Front of House team
- Provide a welcoming presence as the first point-of-contact to guests who visit our home space at Wellington Avenue
- Create an inclusive atmosphere through honest, clear communication with patrons, staff, and teammates
- Be knowledgeable about the company, our mission, values, current productions, current season, and upcoming events
- Advance the strategic marketing goals of the theatre through thoughtful collaboration with the Audience Services and Marketing teams
- Year-round, non-exempt, part-time hourly position
- $16.50 per hour
- Paid time off including vacation/sick time
- 25-29 hours/week
- 1-2 years prior experience performing high volume customer service-related work, with a focus in telephone skills
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Excellent computer skills, especially with a PC, Microsoft Office, and Google Drive
- Some experience with database use and management, preferably a ticketing or donations-based system. Specific experience with PatronManager is a plus
- Experience working for a not-for-profit arts organization or in arts administration is a plus, but any reception, administrative, or customer service is welcome!
- You have demonstrated the ability to thrive and multi-task in a fast-paced, high energy, multicultural environment
- You enjoy working independently, assume responsibility, and take initiative using good judgment and strong attention to detail
- You feel responsible for the environment around you and seek to improve it with every action
- You get energy from new perspectives
- You maintain a calm, professional demeanor in public-facing situations
- You can effectively identify and communicate issues or problems to your team
- You are punctual and have a strong track record of showing up
- You have a drive not just to complete your own projects and work, but also to participate in organization-wide collaboration. You are positive and forward-thinking.
Apply for this position if you are interested in obtaining a foundation in arts management at an award-winning theatre while supporting the theatre’s goal of being one of the best customer experiences in Chicago theatre.
TimeLine is committed to monitoring public health recommendations, as well as the best practices for wellness and safety of all of those we serve. If you have any questions regarding COVID safety plans or compliance, please do not hesitate to reach out. For more information on our public COVID safety protocols, you can visit timelinetheatre.com/health-and-safety
It is an essential practice of TimeLine Theatre Company to recruit, hire, train and promote individuals, based upon personal capabilities and qualifications and without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, religion, national origin or ancestry, marital status, citizenship, disability, military status, creed, or any other trait or characteristic protected by law. TimeLine Theatre Company is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse staff and an inclusive work environment. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to policies and procedures relating to all terms and conditions of employment at TimeLine Theatre.
- Please email, in one clearly-labeled document (PDF preferred), a resume and your answers to the short answer questions below. Your email should be to the attention of Kellyn Henthorn, Audience Services Manager, at HR@timelinetheatre.com with the subject line of your email, “Audience Services Assistant Position”
- We will reach out to you whether or not you are called in for interviews. Please no phone calls. If you do have questions about your application, please email us at the above address.
- Applications will be accepted through June 30, 2022.
Short Answer Questions – REQUIRED
In addition to submitting your resume, please take the time to answer the following questions. You do not have to write a cover letter for this application, so we ask that you put your efforts into answering these questions in complete, thoughtful sentences (no need to write more than 3-4 sentences per question). Thanks!
1. What is your customer service philosophy? How do you see yourself practicing it at TimeLine Theatre? (Please be specific and use examples if you can!)
2. Staff members at TimeLine Theatre Company share the core values of the organization. Please choose one value from the list below, and tell us how you have used that value in a professional setting in the past?
- ANTIRACIST Centering racial equity as we build a just future
- COLLABORATIVE Valuing teamwork as a creative force
- EXCEPTIONAL Exemplifying excellence and innovation in everything we do
- FISCALLY RESPONSIBLE Managing resources effectively and appropriately
- INCLUSIVE Prioritizing access in all its forms
- INTIMATE Creating a close connection between art and audience
- RESPECTFUL Listening and being open to everyone’s perspective
3. How can this position and the skills you’ll learn at TimeLine contribute to your personal or professional goals?
4. How did you find out about this position?