CAMPAIGNS, INC. Marketing and Communications Consultant
Job Title: Marketing and Communications Consultant, Campaigns, Inc. (Temporarily Remote)
Job Status: Project-based freelance, part-time
Salary: Project fee of $2000, payable in installments
Reports to: Director of Marketing & Communications
TimeLine Theatre Company, recipient of the 2016 MacArthur Award for Creative and Effective Institutions, is a Chicago not-for-profit theatre company with an annual budget of more than $2 million. Since its inception in 1997, the company has garnered more than 50 awards for artistic excellence and business management. TimeLine is now also preparing for its next chapter with the establishment of a new home in Chicago’s Uptown neighborhood.
Through 25 seasons dedicated to presenting stories that explore today’s social and political issues through the lens of the past, TimeLine’s rich production history highlights a mix of perspectives. From LGBTQIA+ experiences (The Normal Heart, Boy) to Jewish experiences (A Shayna Maidel, My Name is Asher Lev) to issues of cultures intersecting and intertwining (A Walk in the Woods, Oslo, The Chinese Lady) to Black life in America (Raisin in the Sun, Kill Move Paradise, Relentless), TimeLine’s collaborative approach to dramaturgy highlights many unique and powerful stories. At TimeLine, we believe that we must expand the lens through which history is viewed and fully engage with a multitude of perspectives to better serve and reflect our community and our collective histories.
While our programming seeks to reflect and support our community, we acknowledge that TimeLine has more work to do to transform into a fully antiracist, multicultural organization. Our staff, Board, and Company are committed to instituting antiracist policies and practices, championing diversity and inclusion on our stages, and fighting back against the years of oppression that our BIPOC colleagues have experienced in the theatre and performing arts industry. You can read more about our ongoing work here: timelinetheatre.com/2020/11/everyones-history.
ABOUT THE POSITION
TimeLine is seeking a Marketing and Communications Consultant to work as part of TimeLine’s Marketing and Community Engagement teams to collaborate on the creation and help to implement culturally conscious marketing and community engagement plans for the first play of our three-play 2022-2023 season. This consultant will support efforts for Campaigns, Inc. by Will Allan, directed by Nick Bowling. Campaigns, Inc. runs August 11 – September 18, 2022 (previews 8/3 – 8/10) at TimeLine’s home space at 615 W. Wellington Ave., in Chicago’s Lakeview East neighborhood.
This position will be paid a project fee, with the projected total time spent estimated at 100 hours. You will report to the Director of Marketing and Communications, with the opportunity to collaborate with many other areas of the organization (both artistic and administrative), including TimeLine’s cross-departmental Community Engagement Team. The overall goal of this engagement is to expand the diversity of the audiences, and to advance TimeLine’s capacity to invite and attract similar audiences into the future.
The core responsibility of this position is to advise, refine, and innovate a marketing and community engagement strategy and action plan. While we’ve listed several ways a Marketing and Communications Consultant might be successful below, the implementation will depend in part upon your expertise and experiences. We welcome additional ideas for ways to engage culturally specific audiences beyond those included here.
- Serve as a member of the Marketing and Community Engagement Teams for the duration of the project
- Attend scheduled team meetings as available
- Promote and facilitate collaboration between TimeLine Theatre and various community groups and constituencies by, for example:
- Reaching out to organizations, groups, and individuals who may be interested in the themes of the production for cross-promotion and/or attendance, through both remote and in-person communication
- Distributing information about ticket opportunities, including discount codes
- Identify and target advertising and promotional opportunities within diverse communities not currently attending TimeLine productions
- Engage with and actively listen to community members to form dynamic and lasting connections
- Collaborate with Community Engagement Team to create an event plan and promote special events for new audiences
- Assist with identifying and inviting key influencers and other community members to attend special events
- Participate in the development of the production’s overall marketing campaign and voice input on campaign elements throughout the process
COMPENSATION AND TIMEFRAME
- Project fee of $2000, payable in installments.
- We estimate the timeframes for this production will be about 12-16 weeks. We are hoping that this position will begin immediately and stay on board until about 1 week after the close of Campaigns, Inc.
- All consultants can expect to attend occasional marketing, staff, and community engagement team meetings. Additionally, we hope to have robust exit conversations upon project completion.
- Work can be primarily completed remotely with personal internet service connection and computer equipment required; however, there may be opportunities to work in office with TimeLine staff, in accordance with COVID-19 safety protocols. During the run of the production, some in-person attendance may be required.
- Must have an interest in advancing racial equity and supporting inclusion in theatre
- Demonstrated experience with community-building and marketing, including with culturally specific and new arts audiences
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Must be computer-proficient
- You enjoy working independently, assuming responsibility, and taking initiative using good judgment and strong attention to detail
- You get energy from new perspectives and thrive on a collaborative team
- You can effectively identify and communicate issues or problems as they arise, and move deliberately to find solutions to them
- You are mission-driven and are comfortable making decisions based on stated values of the project
TimeLine is committed to monitoring public health recommendations, as well as the best practices for wellness and safety of all of those we serve. If you have any questions regarding COVID safety plans or compliance, please do not hesitate to reach out.
It is an essential practice of TimeLine Theatre Company to recruit, hire, train and promote individuals, based upon personal capabilities and qualifications and without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, religion, national origin or ancestry, marital status, citizenship, disability, military status, creed, or any other trait or characteristic protected by law. TimeLine Theatre Company is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse staff and an inclusive work environment. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to policies and procedures relating to all terms and conditions of employment at TimeLine Theatre.
1. Please email, in one clearly-labeled document (PDF preferred), a resume and your answers to the questions below. Your email should be to the attention of Lara Goetsch, Director of Marketing and Communications, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of your email, “Marketing and Communications Consultant Position – CINC”
2. We will respond whether or not you are called in for interviews. Please no phone calls. If you do have questions about your application, please email us at the above address.
Applications will be accepted through July 1.
Questions – REQUIRED
In addition to submitting your resume, please take the time to answer the following questions. You do not have to write a cover letter for this application, so we ask that you put your efforts into answering these questions in complete, thoughtful sentences (no need to write more than 3-4 sentences per question). Thanks!
1. What role does your community (or communities) play in your life, and how do you see yourself applying those experiences at TimeLine Theatre?
2. Please choose one value from the list below. How have you used that value in a professional setting in the past?
Staff members at TimeLine Theatre Company share the core values of the organization:
- ANTIRACIST: Centering racial equity as we build a just future
- COLLABORATIVE: Valuing teamwork as a creative force
- COMPASSIONATE: Ensuring a culture of care and nurturing wellness
- EXCEPTIONAL: Exemplifying excellence and innovation in everything we do
- FISCALLY RESPONSIBLE: Managing resources effectively and appropriately
- INCLUSIVE: Prioritizing access in all its form
- INTIMATE: Creating a close connection between art and audience
- RESPECTFUL: Listening and being open to everyone’s perspective
3. Based on what you know about this production and/or TimeLine, please share what interests you about this production, and why.
4. How did you find out about this position?